Monday, July 21, 2014

GET TO KNOW YOUR DIGITAL BRUSHES

Getting to know what your digital brushes can do and which one is best for which effect is EXTREMELY important when attempting to paint digitally.  Right now I am working with my digital oil brushes in Painter X3 in preparation for my upcoming workshop and I paint with them everyday.  Constant practice is important!  Just PLAY-GET TO KNOW EACH ONE before you even commit to doing a painting.  Create little miniatures where you just play around with one or maybe 2 brushes at the most.  Sometimes these little mini sketches will evolve into a little painting and sometimes they won't.  So what?!!  These exercises are for your learning and for gaining experience with your brushes.  Traditional painters have their favorite brushes-well digital painters can have theirs too... And digital painters can change the settings on just ONE brush to get it to create several different effects.  Below is a mini painting that I ended up calling BATTLESHIP.  It's only 3.33x3.33 inches at 300dpi-very small indeed-but it packs ALOT of information for me.  I used just one of my new brushes, but changed it's settings here and there to create a few different looks.

 
 
Here is another image that I created with the same brush called UNDERGROWTH:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment